Palladium

ned@inventati.org writes:

> I really think that there's actually a major threat for the free
> software, i'm talking about TCPA/Palladium.
> The aim is to transform the world of information into a world of
> profit, with an hard implementation that check if you have the
> "right" to open each file, and so re-introduce the "rare" notion
> into this world.

I think it's actually worse than that.  It might get to the point
where only a "certified" operating system may connect to the Internet
in the USA; congress having been wrongly convinced by the media lobbys
that crackers running something like GNU/Hurd could break through the
protection of "intellectual property" rights.

I would think that an OS like the Hurd with limited (political)
resources might have a hard time in that environment.

FSF's biggest challenge, IMHO.  I believe it's important for the Hurd
supporters to help the FSF with this issue.

--
KBK