Re: gnu-latest.tar.gz

Starting the kernel in single user mode I could work:

sh-2.05a# su USER
bash-2.05a$ su root
Password: ******
hurd:/#

So i tought.. the password sever is all right, the libc also, probably the error is something else..
Rebooted.. I tryed:

sh-2.05a# ps xa
the password server isn't loaded yet!!

sh-2.05a# su USER
bash-2.05a$ ps xa
the password server isn't loaded again, and the system automatically load /hurd/pflocal /hurd/magic tty

bash-2.05a$ su root
Password: ******
hurd:/# ps xa
the same as USER

to be sure i typed:

hurd:/# su USER
hurd:/$ su root
Password: ******
hurd:/# exit
hurd:/$ exit

the su command use the password server!

hurd:/# login USER
Password: ******
login: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died
hurd:/# login
login> ps xa
ho, password server is loaded!!

login> login root
Password: ******
login: Authentication failure: (ipc/mig) server died
hurd:/#

so - maybe only in single user mode - the password server is loaded only when a program need it!!

so, the bug is in "login",  not in password, and that's why "su" works!!

M. Gerards wrote:

I had this problem before but I couldn't figure out which package was the
problem. I know a newer glibc, Hurd, etc doesn't have this problem. Perhaps you
can upgrade from GNU/Linux... There is a dpkg-hurd script that can be used for
that... I think.

Yes, maybe upgrading hurd from linux(it's the only thing i can do, dpkg don't want to upgrade hurd from hurd!), is the solution..
I  thought gnu-latest was the really latest release..