Re: old GNU tarball

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:53:07PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    - won't boot if filesystem was created with mke2fs 1.30, as e2fsck
>    in the tarball (1.2x) breaks the boot process.
>
> Do we have a newer mke2fs in the main archive that we can use?

yes, 1.30 is in alpha.gnu.org

>    - can't make / readonly (or something like that) bug in the Hurd
>
> Why is this a bug?  One needs to be able to create a node for the
> console to attach to in /tmp if one cannot create it in /dev; so you
> need / to be writable.

this is what the bootstrap process outputs before breaking off, when
you're running an old version of the Hurd with that bug.

i don't know what is it about, but the workaround is to add --readonly
to ext2fs in grub.

--
Robert Millan

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

		Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)