Re: perl, gcc

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 08:27:37PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> I think it'd be interesting if we could keep gcc-defaults in sync with
> Debian GNU/Linux (as it is atm). This way we don't have to spend
> porting efforts into GCC-related problems and dedicate to POSIX/GNU
> problems exclussively.

I don't have email links handy, but if you go through IRC logs and email
logs around the time of the transition, you'll find the details.
Basically, there was some weird changes with gcc-3 and glibc that meant
either we needed to get a bunch of compatabilty cruft, or we could just
drop support for the older version.  We chose to drop support for the
older version.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey