Re: ssh, /dev/urandom

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 17:33, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I'd suggest that this matter might better be addressed off-list, or
>    else identified as something that the two of you are not going to
>    reach a common vision through the mechanism of the mailing list.
>
> We came to a conclusion that I think everyone agrees with, and there
> is nothing off-topic here.  It is a discussion about how to solve a
> problem that concerns Debian GNU/Hurd and the Hurd.

At the point of my interjection, discussion had drifted toward personal
cognitive ability rather than system design and code implementation,
which would tend to be off-topic. I see that later in the thread,
interjections finally steered things to a more constructive analysis of
needs.

>    I'd offer that some of this effort might be even better lent to
>    developing possible translators to provide a viable /dev/urandom
>    solution.
>
> Nothing about providing viable /dev/urandom solution (it already
> exists), we need an driver that provides random entropy.  Would you
> like to work on this?

If my number theory was stronger, and I was more familiar with the
related code, I would be rather tempted, but my programming background
leans far more to compilers and API definitions, translations and
interfaces, as well as user interfaces. You don't usually want your
compilers introducing too much entropy into the code they produce.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org