Re: ssh, /dev/urandom

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:17:23AM +0100, PUYDT Julien wrote:
> Le mer 18/12/2002 à 18:45, Niels Möller a écrit :
> > use some other construction that is secure even if the enemy has infinite
> > computational power
>
> I'm pretty sure it isn't possible:
> 1) you always want someone to read your message; hence no cryptalgo can
> be infinitely secure, there must be some key;
> 2) even with a finite computational power, any finitely complex problem
> may be solved in a finite time; the point is that "finite" doesn't mean
> "small";

There is still quantum cryptography.  It's provable secure because if you
sniff the message is destroyed.

However, it's not really something you can use today, although I think they
already managed to bridge a couple of meters over thin air.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/