Re: ssh, /dev/urandom

On 17 Dec 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Ssh should provide a non-cryptographically secure mode (such as using
> hashes of the low time bits, for example) for use on systems without a
> real random bit source.
>
> If it does not use that, it is reasonable for us to use a hack to
> provide something similar.

A couple of questions.

1.  If two people link identical versions of /bin/bash to urandom will ssh
generate identical keys?  I have assumed yes.

2.  Does ssh only use urandom once, that is to generate keys while it is
configuring?  Again I have assumed yes.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz