Re: K1 images - final report?

Alfred a écrit :

 >    And ? It's  a temporary solution that allow user to  use an ssh client
 >    and/or server, which  is very usefull. You just have  to add a debconf
 >    warning saying that the entropy  source is unsafe, and asking the user
 >    to pay attention. We don't need more for now, since anyway no Hurd box
 >    will be used in a critical environement in a near future.

 > It is a temporary solution, but it is also the wrong solution.  It is
 > just as unsafe as copying libc.so to /dev/urandom.  A false sense of
 > security is worse than no security.  If a user needs urandom that
 > badly, they can install it on their own.

This prevents  ssh & such  to work with  a simple apt-get,  and that's
wrong.  If we cannot have strong  security, than we tell it, but we do
not suppress  mostly-working programs just because of  that. Anyway, a
bad entropy generator  isn't the main concern before  using a GNU/Hurd
box for something "real".

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@nerim.net - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org