Re: PPtop 0.1.1

--- Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:14:58AM -0700, James Morrison wrote:
> >  Humm, ahh, sorry the previous mail should have stated that vmstat has the
> > wrong memory size.  It fails to include the memory used by the kernel.  The
> > swap size has always been correct, AFAIK.
>
> Memory used by the kernel is not available to the applications.
> vmstat provides information about the virtual memory, and the physical ram
> available to the VM is the physiacal ram minus the ram used by the kernel.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

 Well, I don't see any other vmstat contradicting this, so this seems ok.
 Here is a quick table of vmstat, top, and sysconf (_SC_PHYS_PAGES) showing
the amount of physical ram.

           __vmstat_________top____________sysconf___
GNU/Linux |  Not Shown     RAM - kernel    RAM - kernel
Solaris   |  Not Shown     RAM                RAM
GNU/Hurd  |  RAM - kernel  RAM                RAM

 Since I can't seem to find a way to get vmstat to show the total amount of
memory on other systems I don't see any ideas to follow.  The documentation
(--help) says 'usable physical memory', so I guess the 'size' fields does what
it should.  However, to make this clear should the size field be in vmstat be
renamed, externally, to 'usable size'?

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU