Re: PPtop 0.1.1

--- Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 04:58:21PM +0200, Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek wrote:
> > The vmstat statistics look like they are almost completely wrong.
> > I have 243M swap as reported by swapon -a:
> > swapon: /dev/hd0s5: Linux 2.2 swap signature v1, 248972k swap-space
> (excludes 8k at end of partition)
> >
> > hurd:/mnt/disk/src/hurd/hurd/utils# vmstat
> > This seems reasonable (except swap size is wrong) and is available for
> anybody:
>
> > This is root-only and does not show any usage:
> > swap size:       243M
> > swap free:       243M
>
> marcus@ulysses[1]:~/projects/acm$ echo 248972/1024|bc
> 243
>
> swap size is correct.  That it is root only is only a bug in the current
> Hurd package.  The next version has the proxy-defpager fixed, and then you
> can have /servers/default-pager set to allow users to get that info.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

 Humm, ahh, sorry the previous mail should have stated that vmstat has the
wrong memory size.  It fails to include the memory used by the kernel.  The
swap size has always been correct, AFAIK.

 A few notes to anyone who cares.  Matthew Grant is now hosting hurd.dyndns.org
and the website is back up.  I'll be away for a couple weeks, but I would
gladly
take patches for PPtop, especially documentation and translations which I'll
include in the next release.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU