Re: Hurd login box...

Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:04:06PM -0700, James Morrison wrote:
> >
> >  What do you plan on doing with 1GB of swap????  I have 512MB of ram and
> > haven't touched swap space in months.
>
> my 64MB RAM box has 1GB of swap cause i really want to be safe. do you
> mean that 512MB swap would be enough?

Adam's machine had only 20 MB RAM. Then 1GB swap seems like grossly
overkill. If you give it 200 MB swap (ten times the amount of physical
memory), it will probably start thrashing so heavily that it's totally
unusable long before it runs out of swap.

But of course it also depends on what you're doing with the machine.
There's probably some specialized circumstances under which having 50
times more swap than physical memory make sense, e.g if you are
running a large number of big processes, with only one or to active at
a time, or if you need to run some program that wants to read a huge
file into memory, and then access it in a swap-friendly fashion.

Regards,
/Niels