Re: Installing packages hangs

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:

> Philip Charles <philipc@copyleft.co.nz> wrote:
> > If it is the same problem as before, and it looks as though it could be,
> > the work round is:-
> >
> > rm -f /var/cache/apt/*.bin
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get install foo bar ...
> >
> > The needs to be used to install any set of packages.
>
> It seems it isn't the same problem, as this did not fix it.  The same
> thing happens, except for that I now get to 28% sometimes now.  Any
> chance to reach the 30% mark with an additional trick? :)

Hold you tounge in the correct position.  This varies with the type of
processer ;)

> I'd be very interested in seeing the rpctrace output for machines where
> the similar problem occured, though.  Do people who had this problem
> still have it or has it magically disappeared at some point (e.g. with
> the libio transition)?

Unfortunately this was not possible with the original problem as the the
lockup was total and fatal.  It only occured on some systems, including my
test system a K5 133 MHz when installing from a CD.  libio worked wonders
as far as I am concerned.

> > A proper solution would be welcome.
>
> For now, any solution would be.

Aerosol bug spray on the cpu?