Re: Installation report

--- Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a new GNU/Hurd system yesterday. I don't have a CD
> burner, and the gnu-latest.tar.gz is not available anymore / yet, so I
> used the "cross-install" script from
> alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus.
>
> Here are the things that need fixing I hit:
>
>  - the apt-get currently in the Debian archives is linked against
>    libstdc++3, but the latter is neither in alpha.gnu.org, neither in
>    the Debian archives. There is no apt-get on alpha.gnu.org.

 Jeff knows of this and the other packages that are still linked against
libstdc++3, see apt-rdepends for a list of them.

>  - the package list in the cross-install script is not in sync with
>    what is available, either in the Debian archives or on
>    alpha.gnu.org:

 The cross install script has not been maintained for a while.

>    libstdc++3 is not available
>    gcc-3.0-base is not available

 These are gone for now, but Jeff is running our autobuilder and should
have gcc 3.2 uploaded when it is released.

> The only a bit tricky thing I had to do is download the packages that
> are one alpha.gnu.org, but required by cross-install, by hand, and put
> them in partial/

 I don't understand what you mean?

> --
> Lionel

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU