Re: CD install instructions

>>>>> "Wolfgang" == Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang@pro-linux.de> writes:

Wolfgang> Russell Senior <seniorr@aracnet.com> wrote:

Russell> a) I was installing on a machine that already had Grub on it.
Russell> The Grub boot floppy image is provided on the CD, but it
Russell> would be nice if the appropriate grub commands were listed in
Russell> the document as well, so they could be copied into the
Russell> existing menu.lst file.  My principal question was whether I
Russell> need to boot with the "-s" on the kernel command line during
Russell> the ./native-install procedures.

Wolfgang> It is all explained in Neal's installation guide.

Not obviously in the context of the J1 CD install, which apparently
does a lot of what is explained in Neal's instructions under the covers.
For example, I never downloaded gnu-latest.tar.gz as described in
Neal's "4. Cross-Install".  Just from this Hurd newbie's point of
view, it is hard to keep track of what is relevant.

Russell> b) I read elsewhere (??) that the serverboot.gz business was
Russell> deprecated, but the recommended alternative doesn't seem to
Russell> work.  What is up with that?

Wolfgang> What does "doesn't seem to work" mean?

Hmm.  Looks like I was missing some of the stuff from the "module
/hurd/ext2fs.static" line.  Not sure where I got what I had before,
but the lines from Neal's instructions worked.  Thank you for
cattle-prodding me in the right direction (shock and all).

Russell> c) Is it necessary or desirable to get all four iso's or can
Russell> you just get the base system installed and networking running
Russell> with the first iso and then sync up from a network server?
Russell> If the latter, what should go in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Wolfgang> You only need the first CD.  Use these lines:

Wolfgang> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main
Wolfgang> deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main

Ah, thank you.

Russell> d) I had tried last week with the first iso of the H4 set,
Russell> and managed to get networking going pretty easily with
Russell> /hurd/pfinet, but this time (maybe I've forgotten what I did
Russell> before) with J1 I don't seem to have DNS name resolution
Russell> working.  There is no /etc/resolv.conf.  What should I do?

Wolfgang> Create it. :)

Hey, that worked too! ;-)  I wonder where it came from the first time.

Russell> e) Also, advice on getting ssh to work.

Wolfgang> See the mailing list archive.  It has been discussed a while
Wolfgang> ago.

I'll look.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr@aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible