Re: CD install instructions

Russell Senior <seniorr@aracnet.com> wrote:
> a) I was installing on a machine that already had Grub on it.  The
>    Grub boot floppy image is provided on the CD, but it would be nice
>    if the appropriate grub commands were listed in the document as
>    well, so they could be copied into the existing menu.lst file.  My
>    principal question was whether I need to boot with the "-s" on the
>    kernel command line during the ./native-install procedures.

It is all explained in Neal's installation guide.

> b) I read elsewhere (??) that the serverboot.gz business was
>    deprecated, but the recommended alternative doesn't seem to work.
>    What is up with that?

What does "doesn't seem to work" mean?

> c) Is it necessary or desirable to get all four iso's or can you just
>    get the base system installed and networking running with the first
>    iso and then sync up from a network server?  If the latter, what
>    should go in /etc/apt/sources.list?

You only need the first CD.  Use these lines:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main

> d) I had tried last week with the first iso of the H4 set, and managed
>    to get networking going pretty easily with /hurd/pfinet, but this
>    time (maybe I've forgotten what I did before) with J1 I don't seem
>    to have DNS name resolution working.  There is no
>    /etc/resolv.conf.  What should I do?

Create it. :)

> e) Also, advice on getting ssh to work.

See the mailing list archive.  It has been discussed a while ago.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling  <wolfgang@pro-linux.de>  \\  http://stdio.cjb.net/