Re: Re: Which packages should I use?

This naming issue seems to come up a lot. Isn't it due to
ambiguity in the use of the term "operating system"?

For example, from the point of view of operating system
theory, I believe that one would say that Mach is an
operating system, and that the GNU Hurd is another operating
system layered on top of Mach.

If you ask the GNU Project, then GNU is an operating system,
consisting of a kernel (Linux, Hurd, whatever), and the GNU
tools.

The Debian Project says that Debian is an operating system.
Other (GNU/)Linux distributions such as Mandrake and Red Hat
use the same terminology. So does Microsoft, when they say
that Explorer is a part of the Windows operating system.

Given that each terminology makes sense in the context in
which it is said, isn't it fair for everyone to use the term
that best fits their point-of-view?

-- Tom Hart

> My long running theory about this is that people crave a
shorter
> colloquial(sp?) term for talking about both linux and
hurd.  If I were
> talking about them in the official sense I would try to
use GNU/Hurd, or
> GNU/Linux, but in conversations it seems awkward.  And how
many non-GNU
> versions of linux and hurd are there?  Sometimes it seems
redundant to
> qualify linux and hurd with GNU....
>
> Not meant to be flame bait tho...
> Jason
>
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Choe, Hyun-ho wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your kind answer.
> > It's very helpful.
> >
> > > PS: The official name is "Debian GNU/Hurd".  As so
many people speak
> > > about "Debian/Hurd", I wonder where they did read that
term, because a
> > > web page using this term should be corrected.
> >
> > Sorry about the name. From now on, I use "Debian
GNU/Hurd" instead.
> > but I think it's not responsible to Debian site. They
called "Debian
> > GNU/Hurd" exactly in every their pages.
> > It's something concerned about people's habit that they
calls Linux
> > distribution sets' name... RedHat Linux, Suse Linux,
TurboLinux, etc.
> > Maybe if someone is to blame about calling name
incorrectly, it's mainly

listmaster@lists.debian.org