OT: Naming

nisse@lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) wrote:

> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> > First you say that we should say "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux",
>
> That's because the "user-space" functionality is that of GNU (ok, that
> can be debated elsewhere, but that's the motivation for the
> "GNU/Linux" terminology).

So people that don't use GNU tools but GNOME and Nautilus should maybe
call it Eazel/Linux :)    (ugh)

Seriously, I agree with the attribution to GNU, as such a large part of
the system is based on GNU software, and as GNU has done so much for free
software, and Linux is really just a couple of packages.  On the other
hand, a name is just a name and I'd be surprised if more than 15-25% of
the packages in Debian are GNU packages. The press and lots of other
people use Linux as a name for the entire system.

--
                                                Niklas