Re: Hurd naming

Grant Bowman <grantbow@grantbow.com> writes:

> The trouble with the GNU term is that GNU/Linux and GNU/Mach are terms
> being actively promoted.  I feel the GNU term without either one is way
> to ambiguous for regular users.

GNU/Mach is not being promoted by anyone, and should not be used.

There is GNU Mach--that is just the GNU distribution of Mach, similar
to GNU Emacs, which is the GNU distribution of Emacs.

There is GNU/Hurd, which is a variant of the GNU system that uses the
Hurd (and currently Mach, though that may change someday) as its
basis.  It is also correct to call GNU/Hurd just by the name GNU.

GNU/Linux is the variant of the GNU system that uses the Linux kernel.

Thomas