Re: Installation report

* Philip Charles <philipc@copyleft.co.nz> [020427 04:33]:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Michael Krueger wrote:
> >  libdb2 had to be removed because it pre-depends on the old libc0.2, not
> > on libc0.3. Some important packages depend on this one, e.g. apt-utils. I
> > think it should be rebuilt on the new system.
>
> libdb2 is in the tarball, so a dummy package with "Provides: libdb2"
> should do the trick.  If people discover any similar problems would they
> contact me asap so the package names can be added to the dummy package.

I also did a clean install from the
debian-staging/gnu-libio-20020422.tar.gz.  Since I can't get my ne2000
to work I'm trying to get at least enough tools to compile gnumach, but
I'm not there yet.  I set up an offline apt configuration as described
in doc/apt/offline.text.gz which works well.  I directly mount the hurd
partition under my woody system and apt works well.  If anyone is
interested in the details, let me know and I can post my config files.
All this for a network driver for the hurd.  My finger are very tired of
manual ftp downloads (due to the db2 dependency making apt-get useless).
Yet I've made alot of progress.

The db2 dependency cascades into quite a few package problems for me.

I also ran into a problem with libstdc++3-dev which depends on
libc6-dev.  How do I resolve this?  Shouldn't this now be libc0.3?

I also found that ssh 1:3.0.2pl1-8.3 during installation tries to open
/dev/urandom but fails.  MAKEDEV doesn't help.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>