Re: Installation report

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:46:25AM +0200, Michael Krueger wrote:
> > I have tested the new libio-enabled Debian GNU/Hurd system and I encountered some problems regarding some packages:
>
> Thanks for the testing.  You are the first to test it in the current state
> from scratch.
>
> > libdb2 had to be removed because it pre-depends on the old libc0.2, not on libc0.3.
> > Some important packages depend on this one, e.g. apt-utils. I think it should be rebuilt
> > on the new system.
>
> The pre-dependency is hard coded into the package, so a recompilation
> doesn't fix it.  But version 2:2.7.7.0-7 fixes that, so we should build the
> new version.

The new version is today's ftp pulse.

> > "apt-get update" fails because the Packages file on
> > 'ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main' can't be correctly parsed:
> > * package libauthen-smb-perl has an empty "Depends:" section
> > * package libweakref-perl has also the same problem
> > Perhaps the maintainers of these packages should be contacted,
> > or possibly this is a consequence of the libdb2 problem.
>
> No, it is simply a consequence of building with a broken perl, or so.  I am
> not sure, but it was fixed by recompiling, and the fixed packages will
> enter the archive in 6 hours 30 minutes.

Both of these are in today's ftp pulse.

> > Some important packages are still not in the archives:
> > * screen (for virtual terminals)
>
> Will be there in 6:30, suffered from the gid bug.

It is in.

> > * vim (*the* editor)
>
> Emacs is there.  The hard thing about vim are the build dependencies.  Look
> at the list and flinch.  Well, enough people care about it, or it will be
> picked up by the autobuilder.
>
> > * icewm or an other popular WM for X11
>
> You've got your priorities right, mmh? :)  In fact, you forgot things like
> dpkg in your list, but it is also uploaded.

This is not in today's pulse.  It is in the tarball so a dummy package
should fix dependencies if this is required.  Every variant of dpkg is
there, but not dpkg itself.

> > Nevertheless, you have done a great job creating this new libio-enabled
> > Debian GNU/Hurd distribution. Many thanks to the folks out there!
>
> Thank you.  Remember that we are still in the transition.  We hope to pick
> up regular autobuilding soon, and then all those packages will certainly get
> build.
>
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:14:00PM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> > I should have baseHurd.tgz (the CD version of the tarball) built tomorrow
> > and made some progress with the CD file-trees.
>
> You might be interested in the cross-install and native-install files on
> alpha.gnu.org in gnu/hurd/debian-staging.

I have taken a look at the tarball and I will will unpack it and modify
native-install so it is suitable for a CD installation.  Anything for a
quiet life ;)

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz