Re: Installation report

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Michael Krueger wrote:

>  I have tested the new libio-enabled Debian GNU/Hurd system and I
encountered some problems regarding some packages:

It is possible to make some nasty hacks on the CDs to work round some of
these problems.

>  libdb2 had to be removed because it pre-depends on the old libc0.2, not
on libc0.3. Some important packages depend on this one, e.g. apt-utils. I
think it should be rebuilt on the new system.

libdb2 is in the tarball, so a dummy package with "Provides: libdb2"
should do the trick.  If people discover any similar problems would they
contact me asap so the package names can be added to the dummy package.

>  "apt-get update" fails because the Packages file on
'ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main' can't be correctly parsed:
> * package libauthen-smb-perl has an empty "Depends:" section
> * package libweakref-perl has also the same problem
>  Perhaps the maintainers of these packages should be contacted, or
possibly this is a consequence of the libdb2 problem.

These are both in the main archive.  I could not see any others with this
problem.  The quick and nasty hack would be to add "Depends: libc0.3"
manually after the Packages files have been created, the Linux versions
both depend on libc6 and some other perl packages.

Mind you, if these problems were fixed properly these crude work-rounds
would not be needed.

> Some important packages are still not in the archives:
> * screen (for virtual terminals)
> * vim (*the* editor)
> * icewm or an other popular WM for X11

Beyond my horrible hacking skills.  However, I did notice that twm is
there.

I should have baseHurd.tgz (the CD version of the tarball) built tomorrow
and made some progress with the CD file-trees.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz