Installation report

I have tested the new libio-enabled Debian GNU/Hurd system and I encountered some problems regarding some packages:

libdb2 had to be removed because it pre-depends on the old libc0.2, not on libc0.3. Some important packages depend on this one, e.g. apt-utils. I think it should be rebuilt on the new system.

"apt-get update" fails because the Packages file on 'ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main' can't be correctly parsed:
* package libauthen-smb-perl has an empty "Depends:" section
* package libweakref-perl has also the same problem
Perhaps the maintainers of these packages should be contacted, or possibly this is a consequence of the libdb2 problem.

Some important packages are still not in the archives:
* screen (for virtual terminals)
* vim (*the* editor)
* icewm or an other popular WM for X11

Nevertheless, you have done a great job creating this new libio-enabled Debian GNU/Hurd distribution. Many thanks to the folks out there!

Michael Krueger
lcarsvision@web.de