available packages?

I have a couple of questions about apt and debian packages on my new install
of the hurd. These are probably both answered a FAQ somewhere, if so feel
free to point me that direction.

I have tried using apt to install a couple of packages I think are pretty
basic but keep
getting the message "package X has no available version, but exists in the
database . . ." I assume nothing is wrong with my setup and these really
aren't available. It should be noted that I don't have alpha.gnu.org in my
sources list only ftp.debian.org. The reason for this is because I need to
use a http proxy to get out to the net and alpha.gnu.org appears to only
support ftp. Is there an alternative place to get some of these packages or
do they not exist?

My other question is has to do with the unmet sysvinit dependency. Sysvinit
obviously isn't needed for the hurd but since the bsdutils has it as a
dependency whenever I try to install something else I am annoyed with the
message that it is an unmet depenedency, is there any quick and easy way
around this? Thanks for the help.

Tim Kuhlman
Hewlett Packard Customer Care Center
Netserver Support