Re: Roadmap?

Hi!

Joachim Nilsson <crash@vmlinux.org> wrote:
> ... I guess the basis of my question is twofold:
>
> 	1. What do we want with Mach/Hurd today/tomorrow
> 	2. What do we aim/strive for in a couple of years?

The following todo list was posted on #hurd at Mar 6th, 2002:

  1. Port the Hurd to L4
  2. Free the world
  3. Fix the filesystem size limitation

But seriously: I think most of the stuff won't be done in any particular
order, but as soon as somebody decides to do it. That's why I think we
don't need a "roadmap".

Obviously, most of the things being worked on right now (like pthreads,
console on the oskit-mach branch of GNU Mach, shadowfs, ...) will likely
be done sooner than those not being worked on (like userland drivers).

Note that I didn't say anything on L4, as it is hard for me to assess
how much work is being done there, because the L4 work probably can't
just be started, but must be planned carefully. I can see that some
planning has been done, but one of the people working on it would have
to comment on the status.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--