Re: Newbie question: X not working.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Philip Charles wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Bill Bland wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > 	I installed the hurd from the H3 CDs and everything appeared to go
> > ok.  I did /cdrom/upgrade/initial.sh and /cdrom/upgrade/gui.sh but
> > now startx complains that it can't find libXmuu.so.1.  I was ready to
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I can't find it either!
> > Does anyone have any idea where it should be and why it'd not there?
> >
> libXmuu is in the xlibs package.  This package is on the first CD.  It
> could well be that it has not been installed on your system as it was not
> included in gui.sh, if this is the case would you please get back to
> me and I can include it in gui.sh for the next time round.

Hi Phil,
	Thanks for the advice but it dowsn't look like that's quite
it.  It looks (to my naive newbie eye) like I'm missing another
library (see below) that's stopping xlibs from being configured
(if that makes any sense).  Anyway, here's the output of "apt-get install
xlibs" so you can see for yourself.

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Sorry, xlibs is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up xfonts-scalable (4.1.0-14) ...
Running update-fonts-scale in Speedo font directory...done.
Running update-fonts-dir in Speedo font directory...done.
Running xftcache in Speedo font directory...xftcache: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing xfonts-scalable (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of x-window-system-core:
 x-window-system-core depends on xfonts-scalable; however:
  Package xfonts-scalable is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing x-window-system-core (--configure):
 xfonts-scalable
 x-window-system-core

In retrospect I think I may remember seeing, and ignoring, these errors
when I did /cdrom/upgrade/gui.sh
Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes,
		Bill.