Re: OSKit-Mach - It worked! Was(Re: oskit-mach possible bug)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:14:44PM -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
> Hi, I followed your instructions and I got the thing to boot like it
> is supposed to! I had to make the asm("cli") modification, and in
> order to build "kernel-ide" and "kernel-ide+scsi" I edited the
> top level makefile and did "LDFLAGS = -L/usr/local/lib" Anyhow,
> I'm pretty darned happy right now, I might have to go out and
> buy some beer! This is the furthest I've gotten yet. I can boot
> kernel-ide up to the point where it wants to know what the
> root partition is.

Oh, this could be a problem. OSKit-Mach doesn't have support for
extended partition. We have the parted store class, it's just not in
the standard Debian packages. Also the parted version is not yet
stable.

> I guess I better find myself another cheapo ide drive. A small
> price to pay. The debugger machine might arrive next week,
> so perhaps I'll be able to remote-debug the aic7xxx driver and
> figure out whats going on.

That would be good. The aic7xxx driver is causing problems for a lot
of people.

> Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> >I don't know if it's possible to include only specific drivers. I know
> >Roland wrote some code for that, but the last time I tried it didn't
> >work. You should really look at the init-%.c target and related things
> >in the Makefile.
> >
> Things I never knew about MIG and still don't... "Mysterious Interface
> Generator"
> Actually I do have an old book on Mach which explains MiG somewhat, I may
> have to re-read that section a few more times.

Get the documents at
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/mach/public/www/doc/osf.html.
They described Mach and Mach related things very good. They talk about
MiG in the Server Writer's Guide. Note that MiG isn't the nicest IDL
compiler and that we probably change to a better one.

> >Please CC: the list next time, especially if you are talking about
> >things you are planning to do. We want to avoid double work.
> >
> Sorry, I just forgot to. First email of the day and hadn't had my coffee
> yet.

Also note that oskit-users is only about the OSKit. OSKit-Mach is just
a GNU project and has nothing to do with oskit-users or Flux.

> Once again, thanks for the fantastic help. Your guide worked for me
> exceptionally well. That is an extremely helpful document for Hurd,
> and I will link to it and cache it on my geocities page if thats allright
> with you.

It's not my document, it's written by Kevin Kreamer.

> And of course this is all the help with SMP. My system is a dual PII box
> which we can use to test the SMP code once I get the debugger going.

The SMP code isn't complete AFAIK. Probably Roland knows more about
it. The bugs I fixed when trying the non-SMP version were in the
interrupt code, there might be still some bugs there when compiling
with SMP enabled.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org