Re: ABI rebuild, upload methods etc.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:06:55PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:

> Is the rebuild going to involve *hurd-i386.deb packages only?  This is
> what I am assuming.

Yup.  Some of the other archs are going to go through an ABI change
with moving to g++-3.0 (and with glibc 2.3, if I understand drepper's
emails right) We're making those changes at the same time so that we
don't have to go through that with them.

> I understand that there is to be a clean-out of the Hurd from the
> official archive at some stage.

That's the plan.  So far James hasn't said one way or the other if
that's okay or not.    It's the cleanest solution by far.

>  Will the Hurd *all.deb packages

If I reread this without the word "hurd" in there, it makes sense.  If
I've misinterpreted, let me know.

> remain in the archive with Hurd Packages lists?

I think so.  I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be there
(Unless they only appear when their Depends: lines are fulfilled -
I've never paid attention to it.)

> This is what I would prefer.  I am assuming that the old and new
> *hurd-i386 packages will usually be incompatable.  I presume that
> the clean-out will occur just before we start uploading.

Yup.  I don't want to clobber it for people who might be intereted in
the meantime.

> I see my role as producing new iso images as a means of enabling
> people to install the new Hurd as soon as possible.  This could be
> important if there is a significant time lag between the completion
> of the rebuild and the re-establishment of the Hurd archive on the
> official mirrors.

If we're buffering on alpha and uploading at whatever the acceptable
rate is, then there's alot of incentive to dive through all of the
packages as fast as possible.  Your role could be very important then.

--
I gotta ding ding dang a dang a long ding dong.