Re: The ABI recompile & CDs

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> > My guess is that the average upload per day will be about 50
> > MB.  This is based on my experience of what happens to the Debian
> > ftp network when there is a big pulse.  Let alone problems people
> > like me have who maintain a partial mirror with a 56k modem (except
> > in emergencies).  So we may need a temporary staging area.

This always happens to me, there was a big pulse last night and AFAIK the
mirrors coped, but has not always been the case.

> Okay.  You have a better feel than I do for how much data this takes.
> There's currently 5GB free on alpha.gnu.org - so perhaps that will be
> the best staging area.

Best be safe.  At the best it would act as a buffer to insulate the
build rate from the upload rate.  At the worst it could act as a
storage area.  Also we may want to have greater control of what is
uploaded when.

> Do you have an login account on there?  That ftp server has a limit of
> 10 users (or something low like that to keep the T1 usable).  I think
> that you probably shouldn't have to compete with other people to try
> and get the CD built.

That would be a good idea.  Can someone advise me how to go about this?

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz