mach: bootstrap missing

I just installed Debian Hurd form binary CDs.
There was no bootloader installed with it (especially no grub).
I edited my menu.lst file on the existing Linux so that it loaded
/boot/gnumach.gz from the new Hurd partition.
Mach starts and does some hardware init and then writes
about missing bootstrap code.
What can I do /practically) and what is this (theoretically)?
I understand so far (correct and comment it, please):
Grub and gnumach share the multiboot standard,
so mach has already all it needs to start its kernel.
But mach has only ports = kind of hardware abstractions.
And so it needs to load another code which provides
a full featured OS. So the missing bootstrap is not on top
of grub but on top of mach and belongs not to mach but to hurd.

Regards
Peter Wiehe