Re: /X11R6 -> . (was: X11 failled to run)

Hi all,

I have read some mails about this X issue... and wondered
if it would be difficult to compile the /usr/X11R6/lib in ld.so?

Someone argued that /etc/ldso.conf is a linux thing, but
would it be that hard to modify the ld.so to try both
/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib? Or make it read a similar file?

This would allow HURD users to run X11 without much hastles,
at least until the fundamental problem is solved.

just my 2 EURO-cents

-- lode

There is a pending wishlist item for xfree86-common

reported Oct 6 2001. But the reporter argues for /usr/X11R6 to become a
symlink to /usr on *all* platforms. Not surprisingly, Branden responded
that this was such a major change, that he cannot decide upon
unilaterally. Anyhow, I guess this is not what we need. We
only need installation to work *too*, if /X11R6 is a Symlink.

So maybe I'll file a new bug report.

Regards,

Johannes