Re: Meta files for files without new interfaces

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 05:40:18PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> was heard to say:
> BTW, when I said that two slashes are like one, it is true with one
> exception.  For some strange reason, a pathname that starts with exactly two
> (no more, no less) slashes is implementation defined.  So you have the whole
> //foo/bar namespace... I don't know why this exception was made, probably
> for some OS I don't know about.  It could be used, but I would be prepared
> to fix some scripts etc to not accidentially but a slash too much in the
> line.

  I know that cygwin uses this convention to handle drive letters.  So
C:\windows becomes //c/windows, for instance.  (/ is a fake root
directory, usually in c:\cygwin or something)

  Daniel

-
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                        After the game, the king and                         |
|                        the pawn go in the same box.                         |
|                          -- Italian proverb                                 |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/