Re: httpfs what is it?

Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net> writes:

> In fact, we had this kind of thing in all BSD kernels starting
> with 4.4BSD Lite (read: in FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD). It's called
> 'portal' filesystem:

Hurd translators owe the original idea to the Portal concept in the
old BSD Architecture Manuals, first actually implemented in 4.4 BSD.

However, all the old BSD statements about what portals would be used
for did not include things like transparent FTP, tar and the like.  As
far I have been able to tell, the Hurd design documents were the first
places to actually describe the idea.