glibc error reporting (was: httpfs, tarfs --help)

On Sat, 2001-12-22 at 01:27, Colin Watson wrote:

> You don't necessarily need WebDAV, though; you could mount an HTTP
> server on a translator and use it read-only, as long as it happens to
> output directory listings in a format you can parse (or as long as you
> don't mind not being able to list directories). You could even write
> files if the server supported the PUT method.

Just out of interest, are there any plans for glibc to have the facility
to report translator-specific error texts?  Not sure how that would
work; I suppose you would have another errno variable which translators
could set and then have a strerror-like function that each translator
implements?  Would that be an addition to the file protocol?  I haven't
gotten into any guts proper yet so I'm not sure how translators go about
being translators.

--
Bob Ham: bob@ham.org                 GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org/
         http://mp3.com/obelisk_uk

A pessimist expects the weather to get worse.
An optimist hopes it will improve.
A realist adjusts the sails.