system crash when much disk io

Hi,

Running dselect or apt-get very often gets my hurd box on it's knees.
When it's 'Reading Package Lists...' , the system hangs, after giving:

ext2fs.static: ../../ext2fs/pager.c:396: file_pager_write_page: Assertion `block' failed.

As a workaround, I tried importing /var/lib/apt/ and /var/lib/dpkg via
nfs.  However, this gives different problems: apt complains about

 E: Couldn't make mmap of 6291457 bytes - mmap (1073741869 Operation not supported)
 E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

My disk is a

 hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL CR4.3A, ATA DISK drive
      4110MB w/418kB Cache, CHS=524/255/63

I partioned it:

 /dev/hda6             508M  199M  283M  42% /gnu

, and ran

 root@stegun:~# mke2fs -v -c -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/hda6

.  Is there a fix for this, or some workaround?  Or did I completely
miss something?  I never have any problems with this disk when running
GNU/Linux.

Thanks a lot for maintaining the Hurd!

Bye,

Joost

--
Patience: a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
                        The Thinking Man's Dictionary, Kevin Solway