RE: Using apt-get with a PPP connection

(sorry, I send this message to Laurent Pelecq, but not for all.
So there it is)

Hi,

Thanks a lot, that works fine on my box.

On 18-Nov-2001 Laurent Pelecq wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a new Hurd user. I connect to my ISP with a ppp connection. Since
> ppp support doesn't appear to be available, I use the following method
> to install/update packages with apt-get. Maybe a better way exists. I
> didn't find anything in docs I read (but I didn't read everything :-).
>
> I'm interested in any simpler method. This one requires to boot on
> Linux first and reboot again on the Hurd.
>
> First, I download packages in my user account on a Debian GNU/Linux
> install (see apt config below). Before running apt-get I copy the
> var/dpkg/status of the Hurd to my user account.
>
> In ~myself/hurd, I created the following dirs:
> ~/hurd/apt/state/lists
> ~/hurd/apt/state/lists/partial
> ~/hurd/apt/dpkg
> ~/hurd/apt/cache/archives
> ~/hurd/apt/cache/archives/partial
>
> I run apt-get with --config-file=/home/myself/hurd/apt/apt.conf and
> --download-only. Then I copy all .deb in the Hurd partition, reboot
> on the Hurd and install packages with dpkg.
>
> Laurent
>
> == apt.conf ================================================
> Dir {
>   Etc::SourceList "/home/myself/hurd/apt/sources.list";
>   Cache::archives "/home/myself/hurd/apt/cache/archives";
>   Cache "/home/myself/hurd/apt/cache";
>   State::Lists "/home/myself/hurd/apt/state/lists";
>   State::status "/home/myself/hurd/apt/dpkg/status";
> };
> APT {
>   Architecture "hurd-i386";
> };
>
> == sources.list ============================================
> deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

I add two scripts to automate this a bit more :

== my_apt-get ================================================
#!/bin/sh

echo $1: $2 ...

apt-get --config-file="/home/myslef/hurd/apt/apt.conf" \
--download-only --force-yes $1 $2

mv $(find /home/myself/hurd/apt -name "*.deb") /gnu/my_partial

where /gnu/my_partial is a directory on my Hurd partition where
I can install the .deb packages.

usage: my_apt-get install package_name

The second script is for updating the apt status after Hurd
reboot:

#!/bin/sh

cp /gnu/var/lib/dpkg/status /home/myself/hurd/apt/dpkg/status

regards,

--
E-Mail: hocwp <hocwp@free.fr>
Web: http://hocwp.free.fr