Re: '(ipc/mig) bad request msg ID' error

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:22:06AM +0100, Manuel A. Fernandez  Montecelo wrote:
> - cannot get ENOENT value from /var/lib/dpkg/enoent: (ipc/mig) bad request msg
>   ID at /sbin/update-alternatives line 28
> - /var/lib/dpkg/info/base-passwd.postinst: cannot make pipes for command
>   substitution: (ipc/mig) bad request msg ID

from the faq:

# settrans -fgc /servers/socket/1 /hurd/pflocal

However, you should have got something like 'Protocol not implented'.
You'd better remove the old /servers/socket/1 first, with:

# settrans --goaway /servers/socket/1

It's just that i had the same problems a few days ago :).  I typed plocal
instead of pflocal.  It would be better if settrans gave a warning when
using a non-existant file as translator.

> and then 2 msgs informing that the console in use was /tmp/console.

hmm.. I deleted /tmp/console by accident.  Hope it's not bad.