Re: X on hurd: no kbd support in MAKEDEV

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:37:25AM +0100, Andreas Happe wrote:
> > --- Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, sorry my fault.  It seems I forgot to apply a patch.
> > >
> > > Just do:
> > >
> > > settrans -c /dev/kbd /hurd/kbd
> >  /hurd/kbd isn't in the hurd-20011013 package.
> > nor is the mouse translator.
>
> the kbd - translator from the alpha.gnu - server (they are located in the
> marcus/contrib - directory) are not working on my hurd - system (they produce
> "translator died" error messages, i'm usin' the hurd-20011016 tar.ball and
> X4.1.0)

Those files are there for historic reasons.  I should probably remove them.
I haveuploaded a new Hurd package today which will be installed tonight
and has kbd/mouse translators.  I simply forgot o include them the last time(s).
You are not supposed to get your own copy of these translators.  Everything
should be in the hurd package.

> The download of a new makedev - package failed because of  a broken package
> error (located at the base-passwd - package)

makedev is a Linux only package.  Now you might rightfully ask why the
Linux only package exists in the Hurd archive, and this is a question
you should ask the dpkg developes and ftp admins.

(Well, actually I know the answer: makedev is a binary-all package, that
means it is supposed to be for all Debian ports.  This was true before
Debian GNU/Hurd came into existance, and now it is still not fixed.
We want a caterogry for all Linux ports, for all Hurd ports etc,
but yet nobody came forward with a satisfying proposal [not that nobody
tried, it's just quite difficult a problem.  Some things in Debian are broken
and established enough to make a fix difficult.)

Marcus