Re: H1 images - comments and questions.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Maurizio Boriani wrote:

> so you're saying we ca boot directly hurd from CD but there is a policy
> problem (we've to use debian-boot floppies). If this is true could we
> contact Admam Di Carlo who is debian maintainer for booot floppies and
> add this feature or make a new set of boot floppies for Debian
> GNU/HURD... what do you think about this?

The CD boots into Linux.  The Linux installation ramdisk is used to
partition, make Hurd filesystems and to unpack the tarball onto a Hurd
HDD partition.  The first time the Hurd boots is at the reboot.

The idea is to use the latest Debian installer (Linux) so that when a
native Hurd installer is developed it can be merged into the Debian
installer.

My understanding is that GRUB only works on i386 at the moment, which is
great for the Hurd, but not for Linux with multiple architectures.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org