Re: H1 images - comments and questions.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:15:07AM +0000, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:43:54PM +0200, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 09:33:26AM +0000, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
> > >
> > > We need anymore linux to start hurd installation? There was'nt a person working on
> > > grub+gnumach+hurd direct boot instand lilo+linux?
> >
> > Me. The patches to use GRUB on CDs have been sent to the grub mailing
> > list. The problem is that Debian boot-floppies at the moment still use
> > Lilo.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> so you're saying we ca boot directly hurd from CD but there is a policy problem
> (we've to use debian-boot floppies). If this is true could we contact Admam Di Carlo
> who is debian maintainer for booot floppies and add this feature or make a new set of
> boot floppies for Debian GNU/HURD... what do you think about this?

I don't think the major problem is a policy one (even if Lilo is the official
bootloader at the moment), just a practical one:
boot-floppies are one part of the stuff that delayed the release of
woody, and probably people working on them will not be fond of changing
it now. There is also probably a size problem on 1.44 or 2.88 images,
since GRUB is larger than Lilo in size.

One solution would be to allow the use of GRUB at least on HD emulation
for El Torito, so that HURD could use the bootstrapping procedures of
Debian its own way, that is to add the ability to use GRUB for non size
limited images. So this would not break anything for others, but just
add alternatives.

Then, the problem will be always the same: to find somebody to do the
stuff ;)

Cheers.

PS: Neal and Marcus suggested to add some facilities about block lists for
GRUB. I'm thinking about a more general solution, i.e. to add a pseudo
tar fs --- sequential files, but that can be found by there name. Is the
tar "fs" the smaller fs possible (loose the least number of data for meta
informations about the files) ?
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde@polynum.org>