Re: Debian GNU or Debian GNU/Hurd?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:34:43PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann said:
> What we can can and should do is to make sure that all official documents
> are correct.

I agree with this.

> > release of "GNU Hurd"
> If you look into the Hurd info manual and the README, you will find "the GNU
> Hurd" in all but one instance (the first line of README has only "GNU Hurd").
> So there is a strong precedence for "the GNU Hurd".

That's fine, but there's a difference between an article customarily
preceding a name, and one that is part of a name.  What I'm saying is
if you really want "the" to be part of the name "GNU Hurd", it should
actually be "The GNU Hurd".  Otherwise it's just part of the rest of
those sentences.  (And if you say the "the" isn't important enough
to be capitalized, I propose that it isn't important enough to be a
necessary part of the official name.)

Kevin
--
Kevin Kreamer