Re: Debian GNU or Debian GNU/Hurd?

On Wednesday 2001-09-26 at 22:27:52 -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > On 26 Sep 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > Debian GNU
> > > Hurd i386 binary
> > > Version mumbledeefrotz
> > >
> > > might be my favorite version, but I'm interested in what others
> > > think.
>
> I think "Debian GNU/Hurd" ought to be the canonical name.  Yes, we
> are the One True GNU System, blah blah blah.  But people will be
> justifiably confused if "Hurd" does not appear in the usual short
> tital.  And if the other system is properly called "Debian
> GNU/Linux" it seems only sporting to do the closest parallel.

For what it's worth, I agree. People are starting to associate GNU
with Linux, now that more people are beginning to use "GNU/Linux" (as
opposed to just "Linux") more frequently. Calling it simply "Debian
GNU" will confuse the hell out of a lot of people. "Debian GNU/Hurd"
will give it a better and more distinguishable identity.

IMO, of course ;-)

David Trudgett

PS I may have been dreaming, but I'm pretty sure I read messages on
this list some time ago that implied that "Debian GNU/Hurd" had
already been decided on as the official name. Maybe it was just
someone's opinion, though. -- David.