Re: no real problem

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:24, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:28:20PM +0200, Florian Quetting wrote:
> > Hello,
> > after reading lots of documentations, I'm still not sure of one thing:
> > How do You pronounce the word "hird" ? I think to know how to
> > pronounce the Hurd, but what about hird ;-?
>
> The "obvious" pronunciation, at least in my country, would be the
> same as "Hurd", cf. "bird", "curd".
>
> Ben

I pronounce hird as 'herd' but with a slight short -i sound forced into the
e. The two sounds are overlayed, not concatinated as in a dipthong. That's
not a sound that is easy to make without practice (at least for English
speakers) as it is not in out phoneme set.

Glenn Alexander - The man with no surname and a silly hat.
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
(Now avaliable in China!)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glenalec (last update: 2001.07.29)

I use GNU/Linux: http://www.gnu.org / http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org
and   KDE  : http://www.kde.org
Fight software piracy. Use GNU! [ http://www.gnu.org ]
The above message was bought to you by 'sigrot'