Re: dpkg problems

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:01:03AM +0200, Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> I ran into a bit of trouble due to all this. Apt-get today first upgraded
> dpkg to 1.9.17 and then wanted to upgrade the Hurd package. I got a basic
> catch-22 situation since the new dpkg wanted update-rc.d in the Hurd, but
> the Hurd was not going to be installed ... well.

To be honest, I knew that such problems would occure.  I wanted to add a
Replace: dpkg header to the Hurd, which would make it possible to update the
Hurd package before installing dpkg. This would not have helped the
dpkg-is-upgraded-first case, though.

I think it should work to upgrade hurd first with --force-overwrite enabled,
then dpkg.

As I said before, I am not very motivated to catch and fix such transient
problems before the first release (or at least before fixation of the glibc
ABI).  I am not even sure there is a fix that doesn't involve changing
dpkg.