Re: Putting X on the hurd

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 05:53:57PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> 1. I needed the "X configuration summary" from the Kernel

>    I know that these suggestions have been in the archives of this
>    mailing list but the FAQ pages are a bit outdated so someone may
>    give up as I almost did a few days ago!

Yes.  I am open to suggestions.  I think including Neals FAQ in the Debian
package would be nice.  We can add X treating questions to it first.

> 2. The "vga" configuration at a depth of 4 (;-)) is the only one that
>    seems to work on this AGP chipset. Others have problems as given below.

The issue with X drivers is the same as with Linux, as these are bare bone
hardware accesses and not related to the kernel, except for the following:

-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/gamma_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/i810_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/sis_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/tdfx_dri.so
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glide_drv.o
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/linux/v4l_drv.o
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libdrm.a
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
-usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a

So unless you need one of the modules/drivers/extensions above, you can use
the same configuration as under Linux.  Also consider the xserver-* packages
of X 3.3.6.

It might be possible to add DRI support to Mach.  It's available for Linux
and BSD and doesn't seem to be too complex, but I don't know.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de