Re: Networking

Philip Charles wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Dave McDonald wrote:
>

> > In the first context, would it not just be simpler to include the
> > necessary binaries and configuration files by appending them into
> > Marcus' tarball? All that would remain then would be to add a few notes
> > to he installation instructions.
>
> Having attempted to create a tarball and failed, I would suggest leaving
> this alone and creating a extra floppy.
>
> What would be helpful would be if you could identify the packages needed.
> This would mean that you could continue your installation and I would know
> exactly what was needed on this floppy.

OK. I'll do my best. In order to do that, I think I am first going to
need to succeed at getting my Hurd networking. (Just for comparison and
so I don't request any spurious packages).

Getting the necessary stuff onto the file systems by booting the
"normal" Debian Linux install floppies is proving more difficult and
irritating than I recall. I was just about to ask for help on the
debian-help list.

(When last we corresponded, I resolved to install Linux on another
partition and copy the necessary files from another machine via. NFS
onto the Hurd partition. The Debian Linux installation works a little
different to the way I recall it proceeding - probably my failing
recollections of the event - but I cannot NFS mount exported filesystems
from machine "L", my normal Linux machine with the necessary images,
etc. on it, on machine "H" my combo Hurd/Linux machine - irrespective
which O/S i am **installing**. I have no trouble mounting the exports
from machine "B", which is running OpenBSD. I sincerely doubt that the
Debian Linux boot floppies can NFS mount anything - I know the Debian
Hurd boot floppies can't, so I guess the Hurd has achieved some kind of
perverse parity!).

I am almost tempted to give up my thrifty ways and send you an order for
the CD! I'm having about as much luck as the All Blacks! Still, I shall
not part with my hard earned credit so easily. ;^)

For my next stunt, I think I can get an FTP client onto the
not-yet-installed Linux partition of the Hurd/Linux machine and transfer
the files that way.

Wish me luck.

Then call a psychiatrist.		;^)

Dave McDonald