Re: Networking

Philip Charles wrote:

> Stupid me.  The drivers produced by boot floppies are Linux specific so I
> leave them out.  The drivers are not in the tarball, problem.
>
> Solution, produce a floppy for inclusion on the CD with the needed
> packages.
>
> HELP!  What are these packages?
>
> Phil.

All of this is a bit confusing (because we're talking about two somewhat
unrelated package "libraries" given that the installer is Linux based
and we are installing the Hurd).

Are you asking about the Hurd packages that would be required for
networking? At leaseat one which includes the "netstat" and "route"
commands - possibly also an "ifconfig" equivalent if pfinet is not an
adequate substitue in itself.

Are you asking about which (additional) Linux floppy images need to be
included? If the so, I imagine you just need the 4 Linux drivers
floppies (and the installer would also need to be modified to use them
and to permit networking, etc.). Also you are asking about packages -
I'm not sure what else (in the Linux boot floppy context as opposed to
the Hurd packages context) you are trying to achieve that would require
additional packages.

In the first context, would it not just be simpler to include the
necessary binaries and configuration files by appending them into
Marcus' tarball? All that would remain then would be to add a few notes
to he installation instructions.

I guess the confusion will be eliminated come the glorious day that the
installer runs from a Hurd boot floppy(s).	:^)

Regards,

Dave McDonald