Re: Installing

Paul Emsley wrote:

>         I think Neal mean use the translator after you have installed
>       a (minimal) GNU/Hurd sytem.
>
>         e.g. from using the Marcus tarball (baseHurd.tgz)
>
>         You will of course need to mount the iso images loop-backed on
>       your GNU/Linux system to get to that file.
>
>         Paul.
>
> --
> Paul.Emsley@chem.gla.ac.uk
>  http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~paule

That's what I understood him to mean too. So where are the F3 images?
They're on another machine that can network (that's how the images were
downloaded). I don't have the CD's and I don't have a CD burner. The F3
CD images are not on the disk of the Hurd machine (or anywhere near it).
How can I get them there? If they were there, I could understand how to
mount the CD images loopback style using the isofs translator (& I do
wish to thank Neil for his suggestion. I'm sure the knowledge imparted
will be of use eventually, I don't wish to be ungrateful for any of the
suggestions received so far).

The problem is "how can I get anything onto the new machine?". Floppies
work, but 500 floppies seems a bit steep. Three or Four LS-120 floppy
disks might work, but I don't know if the Hurd works with IDE interface
floppy drives like the LS-120 drive. Zip disks might also work - but my
SCSI interface Zip drive won't work - the Hurd won't boot whilst the
SCSI card is inserted.

Networking seems like the best option.

What settrans statement(s) should I use to get the network interface up
and running?

Gnumach seems to have recognised two Intel EEPro100 cards - it tells me
all about them during the boot.

Do I need to install some sort of EEPro100 translator before starting
the pfinet translator? (The pfinet translator refuses to load - I type
"settrans -ac /servers/sockets/inet /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 192.168.0.99
-m 255.255.255.0" and I get no errors, but when I type "ping
192.168.0.1" I get an unstoppable stream of "network unreachable"
messages.

Perhaps I just need to set a route? I can find no route command. Any
ideas?