Re: GRUB on CD

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 01:56:30PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:01:38AM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> > From: Thierry Laronde <thierry@cri74.org>
> > Subject: GRUB on CD
> > Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:02:55 +0200
> >
> > > What do we need specially for the HURD?
> >
> > Nothing, I think. We just need to ensure that GRUB boots the Hurd.
>
> Actually, we would like GRUB to be able to parse a boot script akin
> servers.boot and do some basic pattern substitution on it, so we can
> scrap serverboot.  However, we have not really discussed this alot yet.
> (Roland has more info on that).

Actually, the scripting abilities are mentionned in the TODO list. But I
think that it would not be a great idea to "hack" something ad hoc without
discussing more deeply the organization of the GRUB.
I will first ensure that GRUB is usefull on CDs --- so that everybody can
use GRUB in place of syslinux or others.
Second, work on the virtual x86 mode.
And then we will have a good basis to discuss more.

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/