Re: booting and servers.boot

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:19:33AM -0400, Matthew Grant wrote:
> I don't know what this error is all about(new guy). I got a ISO
> Image
>  from ftp.fsn.hu dated May 9th. I booted from the Cdrom and made
>  a 700MB ext2 partition. I installed the base system. made a
> grub
>  floppy and used the commands
>
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=(hd0s0 -s
>  module=/boot/bootserver.gz

Should be `kernel=/boot/gnumach/gz root=hd0s1 -s

>  this loads the kernel then after the detection of the nic and
>  the
>  com ports I get this error, inaproriate filetype or format and
>  it asks me for the right one
>  [/dev/hd0s0/boot/servers.boot]

This looks like the cause of the error. Mach starts counting
partitions from 1 and devices from zero. So the first partition
on the first drive (or hda1 in linux) is hd0s1 and not hd0s0.
Don't confuse it with the way grub numbers partitions and devices,
they both start from zero.

Igor