Re: Porting Lincity

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:57:25AM +0200, Dios Del Tiempo wrote:
> In last weekend I compiled only with a few warnings the source of Lincity, and
> I got lincity_1.11-3_all.deb and lincity-x_1.11-3_hurd-i386.deb. The last time
> I compiled it with make xlincity, but I discovered dpkg-buildpakage recently
> (what a surprise!) and I could install and run them without troubles at this
> time.

Good!

> But I have a few questions: I think warnings are harmless, I must fix them?

You don't need to fix them for the Hurd.  If you want to work on this software,
you can fix them and submit the fixes upstream, but it is not of interest for
Debian GNU/Hurd directly.

> don't understand why oasis didn't compiled sucessfully lincity-x, because
> lincity was built and is present in oasis, and I didn't have troubles building
> lincity-x with the same sources.

I think it never tried. It never came so far yet.

> What should I do with packages generated?

If you are a Debian maintainer, you can upload it.  If you aren't, you can still
help in various ways, and when you feel the time has come, join Debian and
do the uploads.

> If I have a patch, I must send it to
> the proper maintainer, but how and who will apply the patch to sources in
> oasis?

You send it to submit@bugs.debian.org (please see bugs.debian.org how to
submit a proper bug report, or use bug/reportbug utilities).  The maintainer
then should take care of it, or some other Debian maintainer can do an upload
(but it is more work for other Debian people than the maintainer, so it is
usually left to the proper maintainers).  The autobuilders (oasis, or, as it
is currently, my machine), will pick it up automatically.  As we have to try
over 4000 packages, it might take some time until we come to it.

> Thanks in advance for too many doubts; attached is a file with output and warnings.

Nice.  Because of the nice report, I will compile and upload lincity
"out of the queue". ;)